|75g Benecol® Buttery Spread|
|8 slices white bread (240g)|
|15g candied orange peel|
|60g ready to eat dried apricots, chopped|
|finely grated zest 1 orange|
|600ml soya milk|
|40g Demerara sugar|
|Pinch grated nutmeg|
Bread and butter pudding
One of the most loved traditional desserts.
One serving contains 0.8g of your daily requirement of 1.5-3g of plant stanols.
- Use a little of the Benecol® Buttery Spread to lightly grease a shallow 1½ litre ovenproof dish. Spread the rest of the Benecol® Buttery Spread over the slices of bread and cut each slice into 4. Place half in the dish, scatter over the dried fruit and orange zest and arrange the remaining bread on top.
- Beat together the eggs and milk and pour over the bread. Leave to soak for at least 20 minutes or cover and leave to soak for up to 3 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180ºC/fan oven 160ºC. Sprinkle the sugar and nutmeg over the top of the pudding and bake for about 30 minutes until golden and just set. Cool slightly before serving.
- Change the mixture of dried fruit to suit your store cupboard – raisins and currants work well or try a diced knob of stem ginger.
- For a real treat add in 40g chopped dark chocolate, instead of the apricots.