|1 medium sweet potato|
|1 red bell pepper|
|1 green bell pepper|
|3 medium mushrooms|
|1 tbsp oil|
|150g Benecol Greek Style yogurt|
|1 handful fresh spinach, roughly chopped|
|5 cherry tomatoes, halved|
Roasted Vegetable Breakfast Bake
1.5 - 3
There is sweet potato, green and red peppers, mushrooms, spinach and tomatoes - so much goodness in each slice! Just roast your vegetables and then pour over the simple egg mixture. The Benecol Greek Style yogurt is mixed right into the eggs, helping to keep them light and fluffy, and adding an extra punch of nutrition too.
Lots of people eat yogurt for breakfast, but you can be so much more inventive with it than simply serving it in a dollop with fruit or granola.
Method: Roasted Vegetable Breakfast Bake
- Peel the sweet potato, and remove the stems and seeds from the peppers. Cut the potato, peppers and mushrooms into bitesize pieces (the pieces of mushroom can be slightly larger as they’ll shrink more when cooking!).
- Lay the vegetables out in a single layer on a baking tray, and drizzle with oil. Roast at 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F) for around 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile, break the 6 eggs into a mixing bowl, and add the Benecol Greek Style yogurt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the chopped spinach and a pinch of black pepper, and mix again.
- When the vegetables are cooked, transfer them to a baking dish, and pour over the egg mixture. Mix to combine.
- Top with the halved cherry tomatoes, and bake at 180°C (Gas Mark 4 / 350°F) for around 45 minutes, or until the casserole is firm in the centre.
Remember: The cholesterol lowering beneficial effect is obtained with a daily intake of 1.5g – 3.0g plant stanols per person. Per serving of 112.5g Greek Style plain yogurt provides 0.8g plant stanols.
Tip: The recipe can be easily adapted to use up whatever vegetables you have lingering in the fridge - no need to waste anything!
Thank you to Becca for collaborating with Benecol® in producing this recipe.
This was a paid collaboration but all her opinions are her own.